Saturday, October 5, 2013

month two- check!

This past month was filled with many new experiences, many new emotions, and new perspectives that God has blessed me with. I will do my best to, once again, concisely convey this information to you all. (:

One of the neat things that happened in October was that we all got to visit places once a week to practice our French and I was assigned to a preschool in town. I was incredibly nervous for it at first and felt ill-equipped for the task. I have no desire to be a teacher; I just like laughing with kids. So, after praying and looking at the little bit of French I know, I was able to take the tune of "head, shoulders, knees and toes"and teach it to the preschoolers in French. They enjoyed it a lot, but not as much as the teachers! When I came back the following week, a beautiful little girl came to me and started singing the song to me that I had taught them. It was a little thing, but it encouraged me that even in the little things God can use me to make a difference. We continued going to the preschool and taught them red light green light and elephant, elephant, antelope (the Ivorian version of duck, duck goose). 

I had the opportunity to experience a new holiday this Fall that I had never heard of before- Tabaski. Tabaski is an Islamic holiday that is centered around the story of Abraham sacrificing his son (but in the Muslim version of the story, it is Ishmael instead of Isaac). As we walked around town that somber morning, there were puddles of blood in the middle of the streets, people huddled around the sheep with large knives and smells I wish to never smell again. I was a bit concerned that seeing all of this would be too much for me, but what got to me was when I thought about Christ being the final sacrifice. Seeing that sheep tied up and pushed around made me sad for when they did that to my Savior. It gave me great perspective that I would have never received otherwise. After walking through town, we were able to be in community with a wonderful Dioula family. They welcomed us in, gave us food and drink, and took care of us like we were family. I am praying that these people find Jesus and that they would know that He is our sacrifice.

Since being here in Africa, God is revealing Himself and His truth to me in ways that are truly amazing. Without the peace and assurance that I have in Jesus, I don't think I could make it here. There are so many unknowns, so many differences and so many challenges that in my humanly strength would send me on the first flight back home to Oregon. Each day I ask God to give me just enough. Just enough to make it through and just enough to grow. I am slowly getting better at running into the arms of my Father before picking up the phone and calling someone in the States for comfort. In the months to come, I have the goal to read through all the gospels before I head home. I am so blessed to say that I get to have my beautiful friend Emily, a former Journeyer who will be returning to the States soon, walk alongside me as I venture into whatever God has planned. She has said that she will read the gospels with me and ask me the hard questions. Who could ask for a better friend and sister in Christ?

Tomorrow is the day that we have all been waiting for and at times dreading- moving into our host families. Our pastors and a member of the youth group from each of our churches has come to meet us here in Bouaké and get oriented on what the family needs to know about us. I have a wonderful pastor who is very funny and has much grace with me and my limited French. My new friend from youth group, Fatou, is a tailor and she won't let me ask for help with understanding her French, she just patiently breaks it down till I can understand- it's a blessing. I found out that I have five siblings; the youngest is a three year old little boy, there is a set of twins around twelve I think and the oldest girl is fifteen (the other sibling is a surprise I guess). All the older kiddos are in school so they will gladly help me with my French which I am so thankful for. My mom stays at home, and my dad works in coordinating the bus transportation in the city. Pastor Nadjo is also the Chaplin at the Dispensary clinic, so I will get to observe different areas of the clinic.
I am excited to see how God is going to grow me and change me through these new experiences with my family. 

PRAYER REQUESTS:
- Safe travels as we all leave for our families early tomorrow morning. 
- The peace and assurance from Jesus would cover me as I enter into a new situation with limited French.
- Growth in my friendships here and also growth in my walk with The Lord as I read through the gospels.
- Healing. This past week I had a double ear infection. I am nearly well again, but my body is just exhausted from the medicine. 
- Feeling safe and at home. Pray that Christ's love would drive out the fear I have and I would feel at home with my host family.
- Hospitality as I join a new family and embrace a lot of change.

Thank you all for you commitment to me,

Tiffany Marie Johnson







No comments:

Post a Comment